Black Duck Garden – Athens City Museum Bistrot
Return to the secret garden
The Black Duck Garden - Athens City Museum Bistrot is a place that values and respects the historical and natural environment. During the summer, enjoy the beautiful garden, and throughout the year, relax on the patio while experiencing the famous hospitality of the "Black Duck."
As a café, bar, and restaurant, we offer our services all day from 10.00, making it Athens's most hospitable summer multi-space. Our menu changes regularly, providing a diverse selection of Mediterranean cuisine with European influences. Our creative team supports small Greek producers, bringing together flavors from many regions of our country. In addition, our hospitable staff proposes a rich list of Greek wines, available in a bottle or a glass.
The Black Duck is a versatile venue that caters to corporate presentations and parties, promotional events, gatherings, business meetings, and private events such as weddings, baptisms/namings, birthday parties, anniversaries, and more. Experience the warmth and hospitality that we have to offer!
The History of the Place
Over one hundred and eighty years ago, Klafthmonos Square was not the center of Athens. It may be difficult to imagine, but the area was sparsely populated with scarce houses. In 1833, Stamatis Dekozis Vouros built his residence here, which later became the Athens City Museum when it was connected to the neighboring house of Afthonides. This building complex was where Otto, the first King of Greece, and his young bride, Amalia, settled after their wedding.
In 1836, Queen Amalia organized the garden around the temporary royal residence. Known as "The Old Palace Garden," it was the first public garden in Athens, featuring four entrances, a fountain, and a goldfish pond. It spanned the area of modern Klafthmonos Square and extended to Kolokotronis Square.
Although the modern garden of the Athens City Museum is only a fraction of the original garden, it remains a peaceful oasis in the heart of Athens. Notably, the palm tree planted by Queen Amalia still grows strong today.