First Parliament-National History Museum

capacity 60 - 400 people
Description
Venue amenities
Location

The Old Parliament was founded in 1858 by Queen Amalia, upon a design by French architect François Boulanger, in order to house the Parliament and Senate. After King Otto’s eviction, the Senate is abolished and the building’s designs were accordingly modified by architect Panagiotis Kalkos, with the abolition of the amphitheater of the Senate.The building was completed in 1875. On August 11 took place the official opening of the Assembly of the Parliament, with Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis.

For 60 years the building on Stadiou Street housed the country’s turbulent political life. In 1935, Parliament moved to the Former Palace on Syntagma Square, where it is still housed today.The building of the Old Parliament was given by decision of Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos to the Historical and Ethnological Society of Greece in order to establish the National Historical Museum, but the implementation of the decision was delayed due to the war.

The Society finally settled in the Old Parliament in 1960 and two years later opened to the public the new exhibition of the Museum.

Today, the Old Parliament is an architectural jewel in the center of Athens. The great central Hall of the Assembly is a place of historical memory and a suitable venue for important historical and cultural events. The surrounding rooms house the permanent exhibition of the National Historical Museum and the upper floor gallery is used for temporary exhibitions.

Venue amenities
Location
This facility is also characterized by:
First Parliament-National History Museum
Morning
Evening
All day
Art Events
Meeting
0-50
50-100
100-200
200-500
500+
Fill in all the required fields.